Buying Used? Here’s 7 Things To Check Before You Purchase
18 Jul, 2017
Although used vehicles have attractive price tags, make sure to inspect each car thoroughly before making a decision
When looking for our next vehicle most of us are inclined to look for a used car before we consider buying new. This is because used vehicles offer great value for your money while also not depreciating as much when driven off the lot in comparison to new vehicles. Although used vehicles have attractive price tags, make sure to inspect each car thoroughly before making a decision to purchase. Here we have outline 7 key areas to inspect before you buy your next used vehicle.
- Body rust & dents. Almost every used car will have some minor scratches and dents, but some of the more serious ones may be out of sight. Check for rust and body panels that do not line up properly as this can be a sign of poor maintenance.
- Suspension & tires. Push down on the sides of a car to test the health of the shocks and ask a technician to check the tire pressure. Both of these are quick to test and can save you hundreds.
- Lights. Check the lights of a car to see of the lenses are faded or cracked and need to be replaced.
- Instrument panel. You’ll be able to get a good look at the instrument panel when you test drive a car. Pay attention to each gauge to see if any of they do not work properly.
- Heating & Cooling. Turn the fans on each speed to check if any of the settings are not working as well as test the heating & cooling. Sometimes the heat will work and not the AC.
- Under the hood. Pay attention to the fluid levels including coolant, wiper, and oil level. Check to see if all of the hoses and belts are looking new or in good working condition. Finally, listen to the sound of the engine for any knocking or irregularities.
- Exhaust. Pay attention to what color of smoke comes out of the exhaust pipe as you fire the car up. If it is anything other than light gray there may be some problems with the car.
So there you have it, the 7 key areas to check before you make a decision to purchase your next used vehicle. This may not be an exhaustive list, but will prove to be a good benchmark when shopping around.
If you're searching Colorado Used Cars, end your search at All Used Auto. For more information on their inventory and their rates, please visit us @ allusedauto.com.
You have permission to republish this article in any format, even commerically, but you must keep all links intact. Attribution required. Republishing formats