Who To Call If Your Loved One Is Facing Criminal Charges

Facing criminal charges is a stressful experience. Who is here to call if your loved one is in trouble.

If a loved one has been arrested, you might be confused about what you should do upon hearing the news. You’ll likely want to help your loved one any way you can, and there are some proactive measures that you can take to try to make their situation better. One of the best ways to help your incarcerated loved one is by contacting certain people who may be able to offer additional support.

An Attorney

Your incarcerated loved one may need help with finding an attorney, and you can try contacting lawyers in your area who would be willing to take on your loved one’s case. A criminal defense attorney can represent your loved one and explain their rights and responsibilities to keep them out of further legal trouble. The lawyer may even be able to prove your loved one’s innocence if they’ve been wrongfully accused of a crime.

A Bail Agent

Your incarcerated loved one might be given the option of being released until their trial if they can pay a specified bail amount, but they might not have the money to post bail. A bail agent, also known as a bail bondsman, can cover the cost of your loved one’s bail. These bail agents issue bail bonds that are supposed to guarantee that the people who they are issued for will show up to court on their hearing dates. If you help your loved one secure a bail bond and they don’t show up for court, a warrant will be issued for their arrest, and they’ll likely face additional criminal charges.

Other Family Members

When a person is arrested and incarcerated, they often don’t get the chance to contact all their important family members to let them know about their circumstances. If an incarcerated loved one can’t contact other family members because of limited phone calls from jail or out of sheer embarrassment, you can try contacting many of these family members yourself. Some family members of your loved one who you may need to contact include their parents, spouse, and children.

Their Employer

You might also need to contact your loved one’s employer to let them know about the arrest. If your loved one is expected to be behind bars for an extended period, contacting the employer right away might help save your loved one’s job and allow them to get back to work right away when they’re finally released from jail.

You can do a lot for a loved one who has been arrested. By contacting these individuals on their behalf, you can take some of the stress out of your loved one’s circumstances.

License: You have permission to republish this article in any format, even commercially, but you must keep all links intact. Attribution required.