20 Facts You Didn’t Know About Alcohol
19 Jan, 2018
Alcohol has been around for thousands of years, and same with the talks related to it.
Even though alcohol is quite a controversial topic when it comes to health, it is the most popular addictive substance. There are a lot of talks and rumors about liquor we hear at every party; we also have some facts about alcohol drinks you didn’t know about.
- A pint of beer, a glass of wine, and a shot of vodka all contain almost the same amount of alcohol. Have you ever thought about this?
- The word “brandy“ derives from the Dutch word “brandewijn,“ which means “burnt wine.“
- In some countries, alcohol beverages are served in high schools as the minimum drinking age is less than 18 in a few countries.
- The most popular liquor is vodka with almost 5 billions of liters of consumption every year globally.
- Alcohol was found in space by some astronomers.
- There is a fear of an empty glass known as Cenosillicaphobia. Imagine if you had Cenosillicaphobia!
- The Czech Republic leads the list of most beer drinking country, even Germany, Scotland and USA are far behind.
- Only six minutes are required by our brain cells to react with alcohol.
- It takes more time for alcohol to be absorbed with food as it spends a longer time in the stomach. So if you want instant results with alcohol drink it on an empty stomach.
- Vodka kills odor-causing bacteria on the spot. So you spray vodka on your clothes to smell better.
- Milkshakes were initially made with alcohol content.
- When flies are sexually frustrated they drink alcohol. Who would have thought of that!
- The highest blood alcohol content ever recorded was .91%, more than twice the typical lethal limit and eleven times more than legally drunk.
- In late 19th-Century, American children were taught that just one taste of alcohol could lead to blindness, madness or even spontaneous combustion.
- Alcohol is considered a performance enhancing in aiming sports like shooting. Alcohol relaxes us and slows our heart rate which gives you an edge.
- In the U.K., it is legal for kids over five years old to drink alcohol at home or on other private premises.
- The beer was considered an alcoholic drink in Russia in 2013. For some people this fact would be a shock.
- Whiskey was invented to purify perfumes and now look at the market it holds.
- Before the wheel was invented, we had wine.
- Almost all fruits and vegetables contain alcohol.
You have permission to republish this article in any format, even commerically, but you must keep all links intact. Attribution required. Republishing formats