Pediatric dentistry is a practice focusing on children’s dental health diagnoses and treatment. This branch of dentistry has already existed for years, but not many people understand its importance. There is a high case of dental caries among children as young as one years old, so parents need to be encouraged to expose their children with dentistry at an early age. This will help motivate them to get involved in doing proper and regular oral hygiene. There are a few more reasons why children need pediatric dentistry treatment.
- Pediatric dentists are different from family dentists. Some parents feel that having a family dentist is more practical since their practice applies to all ages. However, children need a unique approach from adults. Pediatric dentists possess additional skillset to handle kids.
- Kid-expert professionals. Aside from their education and training in dental school, pediatric dentists have to complete an additional course. This course immerses them to work with children to know them first-hand. At the end of the training, they become kid experts.
- Speaks the kid language. Every kid is different; they express themselves that not everyone can understand, even their own parents. With a pediatric dentist’s knowledge of special care for children, it is easy for them to decipher the kid’s needs. It is also easy for them to build rapport immediately.
- Kid-focused dental services and facilities. When you go to a pediatric dentist’s office, you will find colorful toys and areas where the kids can learn and play. The dentist and staff also go out of their way to be friendly and explain each dental tool are in a language that a child can understand.
- Expose them early on. For adults, a dentist appointment should be scheduled every six months. But even if a child still has no teeth, bacterial can still accumulate in the mouth from the milk them consume. At an early age, the child learns how important dentistry is to their overall health.
- Empathy, passion and compassion. Children can be over-enthusiastic, so the people around them should have the patience and time to understand why they act that way. For most pediatric dentists, caring for kids is their passion and have only the best intentions for them.
- Quality care like no other. Kids dentist will show children compassion by explaining how a procedure works and why they need it in a language that the child can understand. They will also make sure that the kid is at ease and relaxed while the treatment is going on.
- Management of nail-biting and thumb-sucking habits. Aside from child-focused dentistry services, pediatric dentists can have a session with the child and their parents and offer management of these oral habits. They will teach the parents how to guide their kids while at home.
- Sedation dentistry. A child who is not comfortable with seeing dentists will do better with a pediatric dentist. These dental professionals offer sedation dentistry which use medications to help kids calm down and relax before, during and after dental treatments.
- Prizes and giveaways. Kids dental officers usually give away treat to their young patients, which something that other dentists do not offer. This can include chocolates, candies and even free oral hygiene kits. This kind of positive reinforcement encourages the child to visit the dentist.
To ensure that your child will have the best possible dental care, choose a reputable pediatric dentist who has had proper education and training to deal with pediatric patients. Any parent only wants the best for their children, and choosing the best possible pediatric dentist is one way to do so.