9 Essential Oils For Treatment Of Shingles
Category: Skin Care
17 Jun, 2017
Shingles is a viral infection caused by a virus called varicella-zoster.
This virus usually lives dormant in a person’s body after he/she has suffered from chicken pox. Shingles is characterised by a painful rash that can crop up on any part of the body and most commonly found on either side of the torso. Natural flower oils and essential oils are loaded with a lot of therapeutic and health benefits.
Let us discuss some of the essential oils that can help fighting shingles.
- Tea Tree Oil: Tea tree oil is highly prescribed for the treatment of allergies and several skin conditions. Tea tree oil is also known as melaleuca oil. It is blessed with antiviral and anti-inflammatory properties that make it a perfect medicine prescribed for shingles. Not only does it help in killing the virus but also relieves pain and eliminates the discomfort. The antibacterial property also helps in preventing scarring and further infection.
- Lavender Oil: The natural flower oils extracted from lavender acts as an effective anti-analgesic agent due to its healing and pain-relieving properties.
- Ravensara Oil: The oil is best known for treating skin infections and inflammations. The oil is loaded with antiviral properties so it helps in fighting virus to a considerable extent. Application of Ravensara oil on the affected areas can clear up the rash on the skin.
- Chamomile Oil: This natural flower oil helps in eliminating stress and promotes healing. The immune system gets affected when you are stressed. Therefore, it is very important to keep the mind and body relaxed while treating diseases like shingles.
- Bergamot Oil: Bergamot oil is used to treat not only shingles but also several viral infections. The antiviral properties fight the virus and prevent further complications. It decreases the healing time of the rash associated with shingles. It also acts as an analgesic that minimises the pain and discomfort.
- Lemongrass Oil: Also known as Melissa oil, the natural flower oils of lemongrass is the most commonly used as a flavouring agent in Asian cooking. The oil has its own antipyretic and anti-inflammatory properties and helps in fighting both external and internal bacterial and fungal infections. Lemongrass oil is often considered as ‘hot oil’ that may cause a skin burn. It is advisable to add few drops of lemongrass oil to your bath water instead of applying it directly on your skin. Ask your natural essential oil supplier to provide you with Melissa oil that is much gentle as compared to the lemongrass variety.
- Geranium Oil: Geranium oil is widely preferred as one of the best treatments for eliminating pain and sensitivity. Shingles can cause severe pain and discomfort, even after there are no more rashes. Applying this oil helps in treating this particular kind of pain.
- Black Cumin Seed Oil: This essential oil helps in fighting candida and fungal infections. It can also cure diseases like eczema and psoriasis. Its anti-inflammatory properties can soothe discomfort and relieve pain.
- Manuka Oil: The health benefits of Manuka oil can be attributed to its several properties that include antibacterial, anti-inflammatory, anti-fungal, anti-histamine, anti-allergenic etc. The oil hails from New Zealand and helps to prevent the spread of the virus named herpes simplex virus. The virus associated with shingles also belongs to the herpes family.
It is very important to know the proper usage of these essential oils. There are few natural flower oils and essential oils that need a proper dilution before application. You can dilute it with water or mix it with carrier oils like coconut or jojoba oil. Try to refer to the information brochure provided by your natural essential oil supplier to understand the proper usage.
You have permission to republish this article in any format, even commerically, but you must keep all links intact. Attribution required. Republishing formats