Eye Care Advice For People Suffering From Diabetes
13 Jul, 2017
In order to retain your sharp vision, it is necessary to take care of your eyes and prevent any problems related to diabetes
High blood sugar severely damages the blood vessels present in your eye over time, resulting in a condition called Diabetes Retinopathy. High blood sugar is also known to cause cataracts and glaucoma. Here are some tips provided by leading optometrists in Albuquerque on how to avoid eye problems related to diabetes,
- Have an appointment with your eye doctor in Albuquerque at least once a year. This ensures that any problems related to your eyes are spotted out and treated as early as possible. The doctor would use special drops, dilate your eyes and observe the blood vessels in your eyes for early signs of damage.
- The best way to avoid damage to the blood vessels in your eye is to keep your blood sugar level in order. An A1 c blood test would report the blood sugar levels of your body for the past 2 to 3 months. Take it at regular intervals and ensure that the result stays under 7% or less.
- It is also essential to avoid high blood pressure to preserve the well being of your eyes. In Albuquerque, Optometrists suggest that the blood pressure level should not exceed 140/80 for people with diabetes.
- Your cholesterol levels are also connected to the health of your blood vessels. Check the levels of bad cholesterol (LDL) and good cholesterol (HDL) in your body. High LDL level indicates blood vessel damage.
- Eat healthy. Incorporate fruits, vegetables, whole grains, and lean proteins regularly in your meals. To know more, you can set an appointment with a nutritionist. The nutritionist will review your levels and recommend a well balanced diet that will provide the correct nutrition if you are insulin dependent.
- Do you smoke? Quit smoking now as it can cause damage to the blood vessels and create eye problems. If you can’t quit the habit, ask for help. Support groups are available as well as quit-smoking programs that help change the lives of many people.
- Exercise regularly. It is good option to keep your blood sugar levels stable. Your doctor would suggest the type of workouts that work well for your body and ability.
Also, contact your eye doctor in Albuquerque immediately if you are experiencing any visual problems or changes in your eye sight.
The author is an experienced optometrist in Albuquerque and has a great passion for blogging. He has written various articles on health care tips & diabetic care. To know more, visit https://accentonvisionabq.com/
You have permission to republish this article in any format, even commerically, but you must keep all links intact. Attribution required. Republishing formats